(Click on the image to MONSTER size it, or click here to read from the beginning!)
Sorry for taking so long to post! The semester has started at work and my wife’s laptop has died, so I’ve been spending my time giving it CPR (no results yet…we’ll see!)
Anyway, as a way of making up for the neglect, I took some process shots of this panel while it was under way, just so you could get an idea of what it takes to get it to the finished state.
First off, the pencils.
Then, some brush work with my Pentel Pocket Brush
Then, some initial shading with copic markers
More shading with darker markers
Then, while finishing shading Doc, I decided that I really needed something in that back window.
Inking the army truck with Pitt Pens
Laying in spot blacks in the background.
And, finally, tones over the background.
After all that, I scan it, color and filter-ize it a bit, and you see the finished product! All told, it took 4 hours of work.
You can see that the finished project obliterated some of my detail….and I’m fine with that. Actually, it’s made me think hard about how to design the panels so that the key area really pops and is clearly legible….the rest can just “suggest” what might be there. That “suggesting” or hinting at what is in the background is lots more interesting for the reader anyway as their mind fills in the blanks.
At least, I hope so! 🙂